Tulsa - The Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition's upcoming Tulsa Art Studio Tour will open the studio doors of 11 Tulsa artists in 9 studios. Visitors can get a glimpse into the creative process and see art in action April 4th-5th from noon until 5 p.m. each day.
For art lovers, such access to the inner workings of artists is a rare opportunity to see the other side of the canvas. Visitors will have the chance to talk with artists, view and buy artwork, and see art being made. The tour is self-guided and presented by the Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition.
The artists range from photographers and painters to ceramicists and metalsmiths, representing a variety of stages in their art careers. Tour artists include:
- Kevin Byrne, ceramics, 2316 E. 13th St.
- Glenn Herbert Davis, photography and installation, 2837 W. 21st
- Chris Owens, painting & mixed media, 3613 S. Louisville
- Mary Russell & Lynn Clark, painting, 2236 E. 6th St.
- Cindy Swanson, mosaics, 4224 S. Norfolk Ave.
- Kristal Tomshany, painting & mixed media, 1846 E. 17th St.
- Steadman and Peggy Upham, painting, emtalsmith, 28th & Lewis (Saturday Only)
- David Varmecky, photography, 1104 S. Victor Ave.
- Craig Wood, ceramics, 2733 E. 34th St.
Committee Co-Chairs: Cathy Deuschle and Joey Frisillo
A kick-off celebration and exhibit will be held at the Frame Maker Art Gallery, on Friday, March 27th from 5-8 p.m. This event is free and open to the public, and guests will have a chance to see examples of artwork from artists on the tour, meet the artists, and purchase tour tickets. This exhibit runs from March 17 - April 11, 2009.
Tickets to the tour include a map and are $5 in advance and $10 at the door. Tickets are available online at www.tulsaartstudiotour.org or by phone at 405-232-6991, or at any of the Tour studios the days of the Tour. For more information about the Tulsa Art Studio Tour, visit www.tulsaartstudiotour.org
- More than 3,000 artists participate in OVAC programs yearly
- OVAC has served a vital role in promoting Oklahoma art and supporting Oklahoma artists since 1988, providing training, networking and grant fundign for artists
- Other OVAC events include an annual Momentum in Oklahoma City and Tulsa, the annual OVAC fundraiser 12 x 12 Art Show & Sale and rotating exhibitions Art 365, VisionMakers, and Oklahoma Visual Arts Coalition Biennial
- Professional workshops for artists make up OVAC's Artist Survival Kit (ASK) series
- OVAC features Oklahoma arts in its bimonthly magazine Art Focus Oklahoma
- OVAC's Virtual Gallery at www.ovacgallery.com is a searchable website featuring more than 300 artist's works
- OVAC is an Allied Arts Member Agency
More information: Kelsey Karper, firstname.lastname@example.org, 405-232-6991, www.ovac-ok.org